Friday, April 5, 2013

Week 27: Working with bibliographic data

After completing the list of Vict Bib fields I moved onto make the decision to use cb2bib for the data extraction.  Once I decided that, I began to read manuals on cb2bib configuration. It appears that I may have to do some command line work, so I will need to look into that more. While researching cb2bib I also found some information about BibTeX (the format cb2bib will turn the CSV file into).  I learned that BibTeX is a reference management software for formatting lists of references.  The software makes it easy to cite sources in a consistent manner, by separating bibliographic information from the presentation.  Zotero supports this software and can be used to output BibTeX data.  After completing this and bringing all of this together in my mind, I began the process of mapping the Vict Bib fields to BibTex fields.  Mapping to me is like a puzzle and I really enjoy that part.  It's like translation and as a language person, I understand it pretty easily.  While there is not always an equivalence between fields, it's fun and challenging trying to find the closest elements. 

No comments:

Post a Comment