Thursday, October 25, 2012

Week 10: A Very 'Duh' Moment



It’s funny.  Most of the time, the message ‘Validation failed’ with the little red icon is such a letdown. Now, it’s a pleasant experience.  Seeing that message means that I’m doing something correct!  It means that my XPath expressions are correct and that my assertions and reports are well-written.  After roughly 2 and a half weeks of stalling due to my silly mistake (I feel really bad for wasting everyone’s time), the problem with Schematron has finally been worked out.  It turns out that my XPath was not properly written.  I had been writing them out including the child node that I wanted to test for.  It turns out that the XPath has to end at the parent node.  So, once I made all of the corrections, things started moving along again.  I’m still playing around with some assertions, such as the one that will check for date format.  I tried doing a string length, but I’ve been receiving an error saying that date and string length cannot be compared.  I’ve tried matches, but apparently I need two arguments for a match.  But I have solved some other things, such as how to check that an @href value contains ‘http://purl.dlib.indiana.edu/’.  I’m relieved that this is back up and running.

I have also started some preliminary work on the Image Collections Online project.  I’ve reviewed the elements and attributes and begun to see redundancies.  I’ve read the Wiki pages for the project and am getting a good idea on the workflow of the project.  Now that Schematron is working again, I’m not sure if I’ll still be working on the ICO project.  There is a meeting tomorrow that I am going to attend and we will all discuss whether there is a need for an intern and if so, what more specifically I can do.  While some of the work that I would do has already been completed, it was done by several different people over a long period of time, and some of the end products may not be relevant or accurate anymore. 

Hopefully, I will have the Header section of the VWWP Schematron complete by the end of today and then finish the Body section tomorrow.  

I also plan on attending the Digital Brown Bag next Wednesday about the Wikipedia GLAM project.  I have never heard of it, so I decided to do my reading on it and hopefully will learn something interesting.  

No comments:

Post a Comment