Friday, March 22, 2013

Week 25: More possibilities

This week I think I have finished the Schematron work.  Really, I really do!  I have the encoder checks, editor checks, biographical introductions and critical introductions.  I have put them up on the Wiki and after Michelle looks at them I can then put them on Xubmit so that encoders can later download them to check their work. 

I also had a nearly two hour meeting with Michelle to talk about METS Navigator work and a new project assisting with migrating the data from Victorian Studies Bibliography.  Right now all of the data is on a website, but due to lack of support and time to devote to the maintenance of the website, the website will be shutting down.  In order to preserve the data, the plan is to move it to Zotero.  Michelle would like me to do two things:  map the Vict Bib fields to BibTeX fields (BibTeX is a format that Zotero supports).  Secondly, she would like me to find a tool that can extract the data from the CSV file into BibTeX. 

I also attended the Digital Library Brown Bag on the William V.S. Tubman Photograph Collection. The presentation reviewed the history of the project, from removing old, decaying photographs from a damp library in Liberia to providing public access to these photos via Image Collections Online.  The speakers stressed the large role of IU's Digital Library Program through their contribution and provision of digital library infrastructure and related tools.  This presentation was further confirmation for me of what excites me about the possibilities of digital libraries and digital collections. 

No comments:

Post a Comment