Friday, February 1, 2013

Week 19: Go METS!

More work this week on Schematron editor and encoder versions.  Not much to report other than I keep finding new ways to test.  I think I've found the best way and then I realize that no, there's a better way that is more reliable or comprehensive.  I started the next step for Schematron which is checks for critical introductions and bios.  The critical and biographical introductions are authored by students and accompany the source literary texts.  There are specific encoding guidelines for each which means that I need to spend a little time learning these guidelines in order to decide what needs to be checked.  Like with the TEI Header and body checks I still need to check for all of the '$' template values to make sure they are gone.  I need to check for xml:id="encoderusername".  For the intro checks specifically I need to make sure that the first part of the xml:id and the <idno> match the related text with regards to the value of @ref.  In other words, the 'nnnn' part of the xml:id="VABnnn_intro" needs to match the numbers in @ref.  For the bio checks I need to make sure there is a notesStmt and to make sure there are two line breaks after each header.  Now that I've had more practice, this has come a bit more easily to me. 

My next project is going to be working on writing the specifications and drafting XSLT for the eventual migration of data from METS Navigator 1.0 to METS Navigator 3.0.  METS Navigator is used here at IU for the page turning service.  Now, most of the page service is stand-alone, but soon DLP wants to change that into a pop-up.  In order to have that happen, the data needs to be moved.  I have started doing some readings on METS Navigator in order to understand its history and capabilities.  I look forward to starting work with METS.  Plus, I like the name, being a New Yorker and all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment