Friday, February 15, 2013

Week 21: METS comparisons

I met with Michelle again this week to talk about how to start documenting the comparisons between the document for targeted METS Navigator 3 migration with various METS Navigator 1.0 files.  Using a spreadsheet I have started the comparison work.  What I did was break the document into the 5 METS sections that the DLP will use.  Then I created a column for the target and then individual columns for the METS Navigator 1.0 sample documents.  This way, one can see clearly the differences between 1.0 and 3.0 for the Root or File Section.  I also highlighted the parts that I thought were exceptional or contributed to a very important difference.  For example, I noticed that in the logical part of the Structural Map, the TYPE="logical" is what provides the side nav.  If there is no LABEL that indicates each page or section level div then this information will not appear in the side nav.  Or, better said, the side nav will be suppressed.  After creating the spreadsheet, I wrote a clearer and more verbose Word document explaining all of the differences that will then be used to do the transformation.

No comments:

Post a Comment