Friday, February 8, 2013

Week 20: Wrapping up Schematron?

So, this week I finished up the rest of the Schematron work, with the Encoder and Editor checks.  I still had a few questions about the work, and I included these as comments in the file.  For example, I was supposed to test that there was a head tag immediately following a div.  However, that rule would be too strict, since sometimes a pb (page break) intervenes.  In addition, not all the divs have heads, especially the ones that are within floating text.  So, my issue is how to write that so that Schematron catches only the divs that are supposed to contain a head that don't.  So for now I think I'm done with Schematron, but will probably have to go back to it in the future since I have lingering questions. 

I continued the readings on METS Navigator as well and then moved onto analyzing some METS documents in order to understand their architecture.  I learned that there are 7 sections of a METS document: Header, Descriptive Metadata, Administrative Metadata, File Section, Structural Map, Structural Links and a Behavioral Section.  The Header, File Section and Structural Map will be the most important sections for METS Navigator purposes.  The Structural Map is the only section that is required in a METS document and both it's physical and logical sections are the most important for the METS Navigator page turning service.  The logical section provides the hierarchy and side nav so that a user can jump to a specific section within the electronic text.  So,  I'm going to try and pay most attention to this section. 

No comments:

Post a Comment